Izan Guevara Seals Friday Honours By 0.4s
Izan Guevara (Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team) claimed the first Friday Moto3™ honours of the season thanks to a late 2:04.920 in FP2 at the Grand Prix of Qatar. John McPhee (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) finished second, 0.424s off, with FP1 pacesetter Dennis Foggia (Leopard Racing) ending Day 1 in P3 after failing to improve his time from earlier.
Broken chain to P1 for Guevara
Most of the action came in the final five minutes of FP2 at the Lusail International Circuit, but ahead of the final flurry of fast laps, Guevera had to pull up at the end of the front straight with a broken chain. Luckily, the Aspar Team mechanics were able to sort the issue as the Spanish sophomore then went out to slam home the only 2:04 time of the day. McPhee had briefly sat top with his final fast lap effort, as we saw Foggia shuffled down to third – the Italian rode alone in the closing stages while everyone else went in search of a tow. A sign of his confidence, perhaps?
Top 10 heading into Saturday
Tatsuki Suzuki (Leopard Racing) and Sergio Garcia (Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team) completed the top five in FP2, 0.5s off Guevara, with the experienced Andrea Migno (Rivacold Snipers Team) sixth. 2021 Qatar GP race winner Jaume Masia (Red Bull KTM Ajo) was seventh ahead of Carlos Tatay (CFMoto Racing PrüstelGP), his teammate Xavier Artigas, and 10th place Riccardo Rossi (SIC58 Squadra Corse).
Moto3™ FP3 gets underway on Saturday at 11:25 local time (GMT+3), will there be any improvers? The first Q2 places of the season are at stake.
Top 10 combined
1. Izan Guevara (Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team) – 2:04.920
2. John McPhee (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0,424
3. Dennis Foggia (Leopard Racing) + 0.494
4. Tatsuki Suzuki (Leopard Racing) + 0.525
5. Sergio Garcia (Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team) + 0.583
6. Andrea Migno (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.587
7. Jaume Masia (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.654
8. Carlos Tatay (CFMoto Racing Pruestel GP) + 0.692
9. Xavier Artigas (CFMoto Racing Pruestel GP) + 0.861
10. Riccardo Rossi (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.910